Wednesday, November 30, 2011


HIV/AIDS for as long as I know has been a taboo subject in any social circle.  Growing up we use to perceive that the virus and disease was an abomination, and those carrying the virus were to be avoided.  Thankfully we later realize that this notion was rooted in gross ignorance and was an unfortunate idea in any context, worse in the fight to eradicate the disease.  It leads to nothing more than mass discrimination and impedes the progress of the authorities to fight the spread of the virus.

The first time I actually met a person with HIV/AIDS was in 2009 when I appeared on a social morning program on CNMG in Trinidad.  The occasion was an awareness campagn by the Guild of students in UWI St. Augustine led by president Hillan Morean.  The lady in question was in high spirits and we engaged in normal conversation, hand shakes and socializing.  It really opened up my eyes to the fact that people who have the disease are not to be isolated or discriminated against.  moreover they do have a lot to contribute to society.



Today we see a vast improvement in the way the public is being informed and a better outlook on the prospect of reducing discrimination against HIV positive persons. We are encouraged to get tested and to know our HIV status.  We have to do more however and it starts with you knowing your status, taking responsibility and learning how to deal with it. This is very important in the fight against HIV/AIDS because it creates a discourse among people and reduce the stigma attached to the disease.

I always encourage my friends to get tested and to be more sensitive to other peoples feelings and rights.  I never thought it was necessary for me to do a test however, because as far as remember I have never practiced unsafe sex.  "Are you 100% sure?", I asked myself;  And the answer to that question was no. So I decided to take the test - to finally practice what I preached.

On the morning of the test I was so nervous, it felt like I was on a stage in a stadium packed with a hundred thousand people waiting for me to speak.  The butterflies nested in my chest and my heart pounding like the pistons of a steam engine.  As I entered the office at the local health center a very mature lady greeted me and asked if I had an appointment today.  She really lightened the mood for me but then I still had to wait a few minutes for the call to go in.

When I finally entered the room for the test the atmosphere changed as the fluroscent lights seem to glow less and my heart pounding under duress.  This persisted for some time as I went through the different stages of the test: The explannation, the blood collection, the spotting and the wait.  It finally ended when with a smile and sigh - a sigh of relief for me, the nurse handed me the card that marked "NEGATIVE".  I walked out the center feeling a bit deep fried. Although the shock was over the adrenaline rushed through my body, and like a sprinter I needed to rest my aching bones.  My heart rate needed to normalize and I needed time to think..

The entire experience was great I must say, and I am really looking forward to doing it again soon - maybe this week. This time I'm sure it will be less dramatic so I don't think I'll write about it.  But I am encouraging you, and YOU and your friends to go, make that appointment for a test.  It will be worth it to be in the know.  Start learning more about HIV/AIDS and what you can do to stop the spread of the virus.

Take your health seriously! Many HIV/AIDS persons are living normal lengthy lives but the difference is that they are in control so they know what to do.

As we celebrate World Aids Day today December 01, 2011 please open your eyes to the realities around us.  Reach out and do your part in the fight against the spread of HIV/AIDS and the very least you can do is get tested and remember always to be responsible.

Visit the official  World Aids Day Website to learn more about HIV/AIDS and what you can do to help in the fight against HIV/AIDS.

Also check out my article on Bloggers inc TEN(10) Facts About HIV/AIDS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?

Newser

 
http://www.ojbaker.com/2009/12/privacy-policy.html